Monday, March 1, 2010

Epoxy-like Title work

Today I am going to show you a quick and easy way to make your title work pop off the page in a 3 dimensional, epoxy sticker-like, way. For this project you will need the following:
 Cardstock
Stamps, stencils, or a die-cut machine (I used my Cricut to cut out the title here, but you may handcut anything you would like)
Glimmer Mist
Glossy Accents

I used Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist, in Tattered Leather and Graphite, thoroughly coating the cardstock for maximum effect. Let dry completely.

Cut the desired title work and embellishments for your project. Here I again used the cardstock but I printed templates that I downloaded from My Time Made Easy. This made it incredibly easy to create my own patterned paper and coordinate the colors within my layout! After creating the paper, I ran it through my Cricut, cutting various sized stars and the title.
Put your layout together, gluing all papers and embellishments down. This will make it much easier to use the Glossy Accents without creating a major mess! I have been asked before if you can use products other than Glossy Accents for this technique, but have found that the thickness of Glossy Accents is what really makes this technique pop. I suppose you could use another medium, however the results will not be quite as dimensional or smooth.
Take your Glossy Accents and make sure the nozzle is clear. You do not want any air bubbles to burst out during this process. I find that squeezing a bit out beforehand will make sure the flow is coming out smoothly.

Gently squeeze the bottle and outline your cut-out. This makes it easier to fill in consistently and keeps the Glossy Accents from running where you do not want it to.

Next, keeping a steady hand with gentle pressure on the bottle (Do not squeeze too hard, it is important here to just keep the flow consistent so there are no air bubbles!), fill in by spreading the glossy accents throughout and within your cut-outs. Based on the images that I am showing you it may seem as though we are using a lot of Glossy accents, but in reality you are not using a lot. As long as you concentrate more on spreading it rather than squeezing heavily on the bottle, you will get beautiful results without wasting a lot of product. In addition, if you use too much Glossy Accents, it dries a bit cloudy rather than clear.

After allowing the Glossy Accents to dry, you should have something that appears a bit like this:


If you find that your cardstock is pulling off your project slightly after it has dried, simply use your favorite adhesive to tack it back down. Here is my completed project, I hope that you have enjoyed this technique!

xx Heidi
Pin It!

No comments: